What is Chicory?
Chicory is a lovable member of the daisy family, also known as compound plants. We know it’s mostly with his hairy form that we couldn’t get enough of blowing as a child, but it is also known for itself yellow, blue, and whitish flowers that vary depending on the species.
Among the people, we hear the chicory plant, which is also known by different names such as chicory, parachute flower, southern, lionish, black grove, gelling navel, oregano, mostly with the name “chicory”, which is frequently used in Aegean cuisine.
Considered as a natural healing source since ancient times, chicory also surprises with its benefits and uses. Because both its flowers, leaves, stems, and roots are used abundantly.
Well, if you ask why people evaluate it from root to flower, from its root to every grain, of course, because of its benefits. Let’s explore the benefits of chicory together now.
- Quince Leaves: Health Benefits, Uses, Side Effects And Recommendation
- hat Are Health Benefits Of Mint? Medicinal Properties Of Mint Leaves
- Neem Leaves (Azadirachta indica): Health Benefits, Uses And Warnings
Top 14 Benefits Of Chicory
1. Because of shows strong antioxidant properties, it strengthens the immune system and protects the body from diseases.
2. It supports the healthy functioning of the liver and gall bladder, especially the evaluation of the roots is said to be effective in this regard.
3. Supporting the digestive system to work healthily, chicory facilitates digestion and has an appetizing effect.
4. It also helps to cleanse blood with antioxidant properties.
5. With this effect, it accelerates blood circulation and supports us to feel more energetic.
6. It also positively affects cardiovascular health, thanks to its support for cleaning the blood from toxic substances.
7. It is on the side of the body against many problems, especially atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, and cholesterol.
It is also known that the chicory plant has a diuretic effect.
8. In addition to these, it also has positive effects on skin health, especially helping itchy skin disorders pass in a shorter time.
9. Thanks to antioxidant properties, it also cleans the skin from harmful substances. This helps to create an anti-aging effect in the long term.
10. Supporting the health of intestines, chicory is especially recommended for those who have constipation problems.
11. It supports the solution of stress and stress-related insomnia.
12. It is said to support bone health, showing effects such as a natural painkiller, especially when it comes to muscle and bone novices.
13. Thanks to this feature, it also reduces rheumatic pain.
14. Finally, it is known that the chicory plant strengthens the hair follicles, and accordingly, when used regularly, it makes the hair thicker.
How To Use Chicory?
Chicory, as we said above, is a plant that can be evaluated both flowers, always roots, always leaves, and stems. For example, you can prepare a salad full of greens in a very practical way with chicory that you get fresh.
If you want, you can also brew tea with dried leaves, flowers, and roots, which you can easily reach from transfers for four seasons, and drink with pleasure. It is not possible to pass without saying that some use dried and ground as spices or in coffee making.
Finally, after brewing chicory tea, you can also use for your hair and skin when you wait for to come to room temperature and shower, you can also get external support from it.
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bay Seed: Uses & Warnings (Laurel Seed)
- Hazelnut Oil: Top 12 Health Benefits, Uses, Warnings And More
How to Grow Chicory?
When you see the benefits of the chicory plant, you immediately think, “how to grow chicory?” the question may be, especially if you’re interested in gardening.
In general, we know that it grows spontaneously in nature, even considering different species, this plant can be grown almost anywhere in the world, due to its positive health effects, its cultivation is increasing every day. And those who want to raise him with their own hands should pay attention to these points. It can be grown from seed or seedling.
To grow it from seed, you must obtain seeds from reliable places.
You should make sure that the soil you choose is rich in organic substances (peat).
To grow from seed, it will be sufficient to use pots with a depth of about 20-25 centimeters in the first place.
Keep in mind that growing chicory using healthy chicory seedlings is a much easier option than growing from seed.
As for irrigation, you need to check the soil first to water the chicory plant. If the soil is dehydrated, it is better to water immediately, if it is moist, is better to leave to a different day.
In the same way, when watering, you should pay attention to the fact that the water does not come to the leaves too much, you should water the soil.
Is there Any Damages or Side Effect Of Chicory?
Closely familiar with the chicory plant, we discovered all its positive properties together. And this much? Of course, no. Everyone should also be aware of the possible damage to this plant.
First of all, it is not recommended for those who have an allergic body, especially those who are allergic to plants such as marigold and chamomile. Likewise, chicory is not recommended for women during pregnancy.
Those who regularly use medication and those with a chronic/serious illness should never, ever consume without consulting their doctor.
Likewise, it is necessary to avoid excessive consumption of the chicory plant. In the case of excessive consumption, it can cause side effects such as diarrhea, heartburn, nausea, let’s just say.
Do not use any herbs, including chicory, for therapeutic purposes. Do not act without consulting your doctor. Remember that plants, foods can only show health-promoting effects, none of them should be seen as therapeutic in their own right.